As is usualy the case a Tamiya model was used for scaling up, this time their old, but still good 8 wheeled annoured car.
I started with a rectangle chassis from 1/2 inch x 60th strip and to this added the lower main side walls, inside I made card pieces to the correct angle to keep both the same, I then added the front and rear plates and cut templates out for the top rear side and top front rear plates and made these from 60th card then the top rear and top front plates were added, this time from 40th card.
All the rear deck detaiJ was added next, and vision slit covers made from 20th card and Imm x .5mm strip, the suspensions were made following the kit from 40 and 60 card and various rod and strip, for strength long one piece axles were made from 1/4 solid rod.
The wheel was from an old tyre going back years with a new middle fitted and then 9 were cast in resin.
A short barrel 75mm gun was scratchbuilt and added and ammo lockers from card, the model was painted sand, red brown and green At the same time I also built the turret version of the same vehicle. These were both made for a customer in the States and he has since painted them in plain sand. The last four photos are the ones he sent me when they were completed..
When I was asked to build a 1/16 Dragon Wagon, my first thought was where do I start? I had never even seen the Tamiya 1/35 model but I had heard it was pretty complex.
The guy who wanted it had the Tamiya model which I used for scaling up and I found a few good photos, and a few more were loaned to me for the duration of the model.
I got a master of the wheel made by our local woodturner and had 11 of them cast in resin with separate hubs so that all the wheels were the same.
The main chassis was from 5/8 inch x 80th strip and all the crossmembers were added as per the kit. The cab was from 60th card as was the inner engine cover seat cushions were from Das and front windows from clear 10th card.
The double winches were made as per kit from strip, rod and tube and black nylon twine for the cables, the rear lifting frame was from ½ inch, 7/16 and 3/8 tube, all other parts were made in the usual way scaling from the smaller model.
I had to paint a lot of the parts by hand as it progressed and when it was finished a couple of coats were sprayed on and then shaded, a thin coat of earth was then added to the tyres.
Tamiya 1/35 scale Dingo model scaled up to 1/10 and also plans and photos from profile, basic floor shape and lower side walls from 60th card shaped as kit and fitted together with rear lower bulkhead.
Second false floor from 30th card with all internal parts added, fuel tank and radio from various card and strip and rod pieces for radio front cover, seat frames from 1/8 tube with middles from 20th card with lacing of thread mounted to floor, all internals painted where possible and whole unit fitted.
Top side, front, and rear walls added next, again shaped to fit and inner vision slit doors made from 20th card with edging of 20 x 80th strip and 3Oth rod for rivet heads, handles also from rod. Steering wheel 1/16 rod outer rim and shaped 20th card spokes, gearstick and brake from 1/16 rod and 30 x 30 strip.
Outside vision slit detail added as with inner, rear engine deck from 20 and 30th card, and mudguards from 40th card, all other details added as per kit and photos, rear preachers seat top from Das clay. Resin wheels cast from Esci 1/9 Kubelwagen fitted with 20th card shaped centres and fitted to 3/16 tube axles made as original in top and bottom wishbone design, all axle assemblies fitted direct to underpan of model, lights, mirror and horn from scrap or spares box. Front stowage box/bumper from 30, 40th card and strip and rod for hinges. Painted in Light olive drab
Approx. 140 hours
Approx. 1200 parts